Is your cracked tooth causing you trouble? Don’t stress, we can help.
Cracked teeth are becoming a large problem in dentistry today and a large cause of why teeth have to be extracted. Each generation is living longer than the previous one so our teeth are being asked to do a lot more for us then they have in the past.
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain when chewing or when you release the biting pressure (this is because the crack is opening and closing).
- Sensitivity to hot and cold foods or sweet things.
- Can slowly progress to a constant toothache (this usually means that the nerve of the tooth is now damaged).
The two major causes of cracked teeth are:
- Habits – this involves people who clench or grind their teeth or chew on objects such as hard sweets. The tooth is not strong enough for this constant trauma.
- Large Fillings – teeth with fillings in them are mechanically weaker, as there is less tooth structure present to hold the tooth together. Add a habit to this weakened tooth and a crack is even more likely.
- A visit to your dentist as soon as possible is important to increase the chances of saving the tooth or preventing more extensive and expensive treatment.
- A simple crack is where the nerve of the tooth is not involved. These teeth may require just a filling or a filling and a crown.
- A complex crack has damaged the nerve of the tooth and may require root canal treatment before a filling and crown can be placed.
- In some cases the complex crack has split the tooth. In these cases the only treatment is an extraction.
- We will advise you of the appropriate treatment for your tooth.
Will my cracked tooth heal completely after treatment?
The treatment associated with a cracked tooth is performed to relieve pain and decrease the chances of becoming worse. However, even though a cracked tooth can be treated, the fracture in the tooth will not heal completely. Certain cracks may continue to split resulting in tooth loss. Having a crown placed on a tooth that is cracked can protect and help the function but does not guarantee complete healing.
Cracked Tooth | Bacchus Marsh
If you have a cracked tooth that is causing you trouble visit the team at Main Street Dental. We look forward to helping you.