At Main Street Dental, we offer fissure sealants to protect your teeth from decaying.
The thin plastic coatings found on the chewing surfaces of the teeth are called Sealants. Sealants are normally found on the teeth that grow at the back of the mouth, known as the molars and premolars.
The liquid sealant that is painted onto the teeth bonds immediately into the groves of the teeth. This forms a protective layer that covers the enamel of each tooth and prevents it from decaying.
At Main Street Dental, we recommend that children get sealants on their permanent molars and premolars as soon as these teeth are fully developed. During the years that children are prone to cavities, the sealant can help protect the child’s teeth.
Adults with healthy teeth, who have no fillings or decaying teeth can also benefit from sealants, which can protect their teeth for up to ten years provided that there is no chipping and regular dental check-ups are maintained.
The advantages of Fissures Sealants
- It can be placed in a single appointment
- It can be repaired easily
- The material used for bonding may enhance the strength of the tooth
- Sealants can reduce the cavity amount in a person’s mouth
- It is a pain free process that can last a long time.
The disadvantages of Fissures Sealants
- Sealants may not benefit everyone.
- Sealants cannot be placed onto teeth that are decaying or have fillings.
Sealant will hide tooth decay if it develops making it difficult to detect.