A root canal treatment can help reduce significant tooth pain.
What is root canal treatment?
Root Canal treatment involves removing the pulp (called the nerve) from within the tooth and then sealing the cavity. The pulp lies in the tooth centre within a thin canal extending from the crown of the tooth through to the tip of the root.
When is a root canal treatment required?
Root canal treatment may be required when the tooth becomes painful, tender to bite on, is particularly sensitive to heat and cold, or may have an obvious large cavity that extends into the nerve of the tooth, or suddenly becomes dark in colour. Sometimes the pulp of the tooth will die without causing any noticeable pain.
A root canal procedure
Under a dental anaesthetic, the remains of the nerve are cleaned through a small hole in the crown of the tooth. Thin files are used, together with cleaning solutions.
This often takes three appointments and also involves x-rays to be taken, to determine the length of the tooth. Finally, a sealant is placed in the canal.
About a root canal treatment:
- The tooth may darken after root canal treatment, especially if the treatment has resulted in some bleeding into the tissue.
- More than 80% of root canal treatments are successful.
- Surgical assistance may be needed to gain access into difficult canals.
- Front teeth usually have one canal whereas back teeth have two or more canals.
Upon completion of root canal treatment a final covering must be placed on the crown of the tooth. This is necessary because all root filled teeth become more fragile and brittle. A cheaper option would be silver (amalgam) or white (composite) filling, but these do not support your tooth and you may run the risk of tooth fracture in the future.
Special care after the root canal process is complete:
- Try to avoid chewing or biting on the tooth that has been treated until full recovery has taken place.
- Try to have soft foods and plenty of liquids.
- Be careful and try to avoid crunchy or hard food items because the treated tooth may be vulnerable and could get fractured.
It is important to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing, flossing, and cleaning your teeth on a regularly basis.
Root Canal Treatment | Bacchus Marsh
At Main Street Dental, we make sure your root canal treatment is as comfortable as possible. Please give us a call for more information on our root canal treatment options.